Thursday, February 28, 2008

Packaging Girlhood

I was listening to Kansas City's NPR station while doing Meals on Wheels yesterday and caught part of one of my favorite programs - Up to Date.

http://www.kcur.org/uptodate.html#Wednesday

I was able to hear the portion where callers can phone in and ask questions or make comments on the topic and I was delighted to have caught Wednesday's topic - how the media sells sexuality to our female children and how adult women are being "girlified" at the same time.

Then I learned about Club Libby Lu - An "experience-based retailer" that allows groups of girls to come in, get covered in makeup, nail polish, and age-inappropriate clothes so that they can learn their roles as princesses, divas, and sex objects. Basically - it is a store where you can take your daughter to be turned into a living Bratz doll. I have been meaning to rant about Bratz for quite some time and just didn't get around to it, but a store where you can have parties to encourage our girls to become everything that they think boys want them to be at the cost of their individuality and a huge dent in parents' pocketbooks? I am horrified.

I will be tracking down Dr. Lynn Mikel Brown's book and let you know what I think.

1 comment:

Vontava said...

I agree, Sherry! Where is the store where we can take our daughters and they can dress up in bluejeans and t-shirts, and dig in the dirt for bugs to look at with magnifying glasses?? Oh, that's right, that is the backyard! I was horrified the other day when I heard my daughter tell me she thought that a certain pair of pants made her "look fat". This is from a child with super metabolism-I cannot find clothes tiny enough to fit around her little waist. It would be wonderful if there were more external sources telling our children that they are perfect reflections of the devine just the way they are.... Are we giving them that message often enough?